Summary of Employee Benefits
- Paid annual leave: 15 days per year; unused balance rolls over each year
- Employees may cash out up to 6 weeks of unused annual leave upon leaving AEI
- Paid sick leave: 12 days per year; unused balance rolls over each year
- Paid federal holidays: 11 days per year plus the day after Thanksgiving
- Personal/floating holidays: 3 days per year
Health Insurance Provider: Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Employees may enroll in Aetna’s HealthFund Health Savings Account (HSA) linked to a high-deductible health insurance plan
- Single employee deductible is $2,000; family deductible is $4,000
- AEI makes a generous yearly contribution to each employee’s HSA ($1,600 for single employees and $3,200 for couples, employee plus child(ren), and families).
- Unused funds in these accounts can be used for health-related expenses after an employee leaves AEI.
- Aetna’s HealthFund HSA provides access to a large network of providers, but also offers the freedom to choose out-of-network care with 80 percent coinsurance.
- Most preventive care measures (in-network) are 100 percent covered; with deductible waived. Examples include: routine adult physical exams/immunizations, well-child exams, eye exams, hearing exams, and gynecological exams.
- Employees can use Aetna’s website, Aetna Navigator, to check their HSA balance, order member ID cards and print temporary ID cards, review health plan claims status, and search for in-network medical providers.
- Health insurance coverage may begin as soon as the first official day of employment.
- Salary reductions for premiums and HSA contributions are all pretax.
AEI Wellness Plan
- Health coverage includes a Wellness Program that rewards employees for being healthy and active and for seeking preventive care.
- As part of this program, AEI sponsors various on-site wellness events, including health screenings, fitness assessments, and flu shots.
Dental Insurance Provider: HumanaDental
- Optional dental insurance is available separate from the health insurance plan and has in-network coverage of 100 percent of preventive services (including cleanings), 90 percent of basic services, and 60 percent of major services.
Flex Spending Accounts
Provider: The Loomis Company
- Employees who choose not to enroll in Aetna’s HSA may set aside up to $2,400 pretax per year in a Medical Flex Spending Account to spend on approved purchases, including over-the-counter drugs, eyeglasses, vision-correction surgery, dental, and medical expenses and copayments.
- Dependent-care spending accounts are also available, up to $5,000 pretax per year.
Life and Disability Insurance
Provider: Lincoln Financial Group
- Life insurance is provided at 150 percent of annual salary, up to $50,000.
- Disability benefits are paid at 66 ⅔ percent earnings for fulltime employees, up to $10,000 per month
Provider: Teacher Insurance and Annuity Association-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF)
- AEI’s retirement plan is a defined contribution plan under Section 403(b) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Immediate tax deferred annuities are available at the start of the first full month of employment.
- AEI will contribute up to 12 percent of an employee’s income to his or her retirement plan upon his or her second anniversary at AEI.
- AEI will provide tuition assistance for courses pertinent to an employee’s position on a case-by-case basis.
- SmartBenefits® (a pretax benefit): AEI is easily accessible from the red, orange, and blue Metrorail lines.
- SmartBenefits® is a web-based program whereby employers load the dollar value of employees' Metro transit and/or Metro parking funds electronically onto the employee’s SmarTrip® cards.
- Employees also have the option of receiving SmartBenefits® vouchers, which they can exchange for fares on the regional transit systems that have not adopted the SmarTrip® fare payment system (VRE, Marc Rail, MTA commuter buses and MetroAccess).
- Employees may contribute up to $115 for metro funds and $105 for parking funds in pretax dollars every month.
- Qualified pretax parking in AEI’s on-site underground parking facility.
- Free AEI publications, such as books published by the AEI Press, books published by AEI scholars at external presses, monthly Outlooks, newsletters, and conference reports.
- Access to AEI seminars and conferences, including unique opportunities to participate in numerous staff symposia, staff-only Friday Forums, and AEI’s black-tie Annual Dinner at the National Building Museum.
- Renowned dining facility featuring the creations of AEI’s in-house gourmet chef.
- Competitive coed softball team in the Washington Think Tank Softball League and teams fielded in a competitive soccer league.